Thursday 18 October 2012

Tour of the Neighbourhood-Opera Hamilton

After a long hiatus, I am returning to the opera (as patron not performer, in case there was any confusion).

The 2012-2013 Season is underway.  First show Saturday-Rigoletto-first of four shows.
This is the 200th anniversary of Verdi's birth.  We like to call him Joe Green around here.




Started going about ten years ago for six seasons and then spread the wealth around to other productions.  Opera Hamilton is in a new home-Theatre Aquarius-and seems to be doing well.  They had to revamp the program a few years back after looking at the books and I'm pleased to say they are alive and kicking.  It was touch and go for a while.

If you find travelling in downtown Toronto a daunting prospect, consider a trip to the quieter streets of Hamilton.  Easier on the pocket book, too.  I indulged myself at Toronto's Opera Atelier two years ago-had to remortgage my house to do so.  It was worth it, though.  I'd have to sell a kidney this time 'round.




Opera for the masses.  I know what you're thinking, but, give it a chance.
Perhaps next month's Swan Lake is more your speed?